Before I fill in the backlog of dyes I thought I might prove that I have been working on this project! This is a sample box I made up for demos with the wool top I’ve dyed so far. I am not yet confident in my ability to maintain a consistent heat to keep the wool from felting too much, so I’ve ordered a thermometer to help with that.
let me see if I can label this effectively:
Left most side jars: top is cochineal, middle is ferrous sulphate and bottom is brazilwood.
Right jars: top is weld, bottom is madder root
The wool samples ( knotted at the top, I thought they might be cute displayed on a mini line? )
from left to right:
- diluted logwood
- madder root – I had a redder sample as well – this one is more orange – but it met with an unfortunate accident while cleaning up.
- brazilwood and ferrous sulphate and oak gall
- birch bark
- almond skins
- more weld, different amount of alum in mordant
In the bottom right little drawer I’m just showing the silk threads I am branching this project out to include. I’ve experimented with elderberry on one silk strand already but it mottled a bit, I think I left it too long. I’m really looking forward to dyeing silk, it has a more exciting result simply because of it’s own natural lustre under the colour.
(EDIT: I’ve just realised how fuzzy this photo is, I’ll replace it with one taken in daylight tomorrow to give a better idea of the colours)